Rwanda Study Abroad 2019
The Rwanda Study Abroad: Sustainable Development program engages students in a semester-long sustainable development learning experience. Students will begin working on sustainable development projects at the beginning of the semester and will travel to Rwanda during spring break to meet with Rwandan students, entrepreneurs, and government officials to learn about development challenge first hand and to develop context for their project learning. After the visit, students will continue their projects and complete them by the end of the semester.
In addition to project work, students will visit companies and renewable energy sites while in Rwanda to learn about challenges in energy development, agriculture, and wildlife conservation. They will also study the history, culture, and conservation efforts under way during visits to museums, memorials, and discussions with Rwandan students, faculty, business professionals, and government officials.
Dates: March 16 – March 23, 2019
Location: Classes are held in Kigali and in Musanze, Rwanda.
Accommodations: Students will stay in double-occupancy hotel rooms during the international component of the program.
Each of these courses has a Rwanda Study Abroad Section:
- ISYE 6701 – Energy Technology and Policy
- ME 4699 – Undergraduate Research
- CP 4510 – Fundamentals of Geographic Information Systems
Note: This is an embedded course program. An Embedded Program is an Atlanta-based course that includes a travel component. The majority of the class takes place in Atlanta. Students must register for the Study Abroad section of one of the courses for the spring semester.
Prerequisites: ISYE 6701 is a graduate course. ME 4699 ad CP 4510 are undergraduate courses.
- The deposit (non-refundable) is $500, which goes toward the program fee.
- The program fee is $3,300. Fee includes the following international expenses while abroad: round trip airfare, hotel (double occupancy), all meals, visa, cultural and business site visits, and transportation to and from the airport.
- 3 hours tuition at Georgia Tech, and other Tech fees.
A complete list of estimated costs can be found here.
Informational meeting will be held in early January. Please contact one of the program directors to learn more.