I’ll be honest, the first two episodes of New Girl didn’t quite “hook” me, but episode three both hooked me and taught some valuable lessons in the process.  Any show that can spread a positive message while making me laugh earns my respect as a T.V. viewer.  This episode focuses on two main themes: dealing with past relationships and being true to ones self.  I want to discuss the latter and less obvious theme so let’s go!

Having the confidence to be your self is a theme that naturally come’s along with Jess’s quirky personality, however, this episodes shows her, and Schmidt, struggle to do so.  When the whole gang get’s ready to go to a wedding, Nick requests the help of Jess to be his fake girlfriend to make his ex, Caroline, jealous.  After a couple of drinks Nick begins to fall for Caroline again, Jess begins to make a fool of herself and Winston begins a fight with a child (let’s not dwell on that).  Jess, trying to be a good friend, pushes Caroline away leading to an outburst from Nick where he calls her a “ruiner”.  Jess is now stuck in a place where the guys don’t want her to be herself, but they got mad at her even when she tried to be different… alright now let’s look at the struggles of Schmidt.

Schmidt, the wannabe lady killer, spends the whole night trying to find a way to “get with” a girl he is supposedly crazy for.  But the whole night he ignores the advances of a girl named Gretchen with whom he shares an odd (mainly sexual) connection with.  

The only problem is, this girl isn’t exactly his type.  Schmidt ends up miserably chasing after a girl with whom he doesn’t connect because she would be better for his appearance and confidence.  He ignores his true desires, his true self because he’s worried about the thoughts of others.  Also, I know this might be too deep of an analysis of the womanizer that is Schmidt, but I really do believe it was the writer’s intentions to convey this message in parallel with Jess’s struggles.

So what happened?!  Well once Jess decided to unleash the weirdness that is her personality, she and the guys ended up having a great time blowing bubbles (don’t ask just watch).  And for Schmidt?  He ended up getting with Gretchen and I assume he enjoyed it.  So once our favorite characters decided to do what they really wanted to do, the results are better for everyone.  Sends a pretty clear message and set’s up a theme I think New Girl will relate to in many upcoming episodes.  And I promise to keep you updated.