We aim to identify the neural/mechanical interventions and underlying mechanisms for improving motor skills and facilitating motor learning/rehabilitation using integrative approaches. We examine neural activity, motor output (e.g., neural excitability, muscle activity , and limb/hand movement), and memory with various interventions in young and old individuals including clinical populations (e.g., amputees, stroke patients). Key words: Neuroscience, Neural Engineering, Human-Robot Interaction, Rehabilitation, Sport Science
Neuromechanical Mechanisms for Motor Skills
- Autonomic nervous system and neuromotor activity
- Modulations of neuromotor oscillations
- Human-Robot interaction
Neural Plasticity with Practice
- Improvement of human machine interaction
- Facilitation of motor learning
Joint flexibility and muscle stiffness
- Improvement of joint flexibility
- Muscle mechanical characteristics with ultrasound/laser elastography
- Best Presentation Award, 17th Conference on System Integration (SI2016), Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Sapporo, Japan (December,2016).
- Best Presentation Award, 16th Conference on System Integration (SI2015), Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Nagoya, Japan (December, 2015).
- Research grant awarded from Neural Engineering Center (November, 2015)
- NSF awards Georgia Tech and Emory to start new degree programs in Healthcare Robotics in which Dr. Shino is involved (October, 2015).
- Ellen is featured as Petit Undergraduate Research Scholar pursuing neuroscience research (September, 2015)
- Research grant awarded from Institute for Robotics & Intelligent Machines (February, 2015)
- Collaborative study with Japanese labs featured as “New assistive equipment to maximize human sensorimotor function” (February, 2015)
- Research grants awarded from Neural Engineering Center (January, 2015)
- Collaborative study on memory improvement with exercise featured in Georgia Tech News (September, 2014)
- Collaborative project on robotic rehabilitation device featured in Georgia Tech News (July, 2014)
- Ellenor is awarded Space Grant Fellowship from Georgia Space Grant Consortium (April, 2014)
- NSF-funded collaborative project on human-robot interaction featured in Georgia Tech News (January, 2014)
- Featured in engadget
- Featured as Facebook cover photo for IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society (EMBS) (December, 2012)
- Kim E, Kovalenko I, Lacey I, Shinohara M, Ueda J. Timing analysis of robotic neuromodulatory rehabilitation system for paired associative stimulation. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters 1 : 1028-1035, 2016.
- Taniguchi K, Shinohara M, Nozaki S, Katayose M. Acute decrease in the stiffness of resting muscle belly due to static stretching. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports 25:32-40, 2015.
- Weinberg L, Hasni A, Shinohara M, Duarte A. A single bout of resistance exercise can enhance episodic memory performance. Acta Psychologica 153:13-19, 2014.
- Buharin VE, Butler AJ, Shinohara M. Motor cortical disinhibition with baroreceptor unloading induced by orthostatic stress. Journal of Neurophysiology 111:2656-2664, 2014.
- Yoshitake Y, Takai Y, Kanehisa H, Shinohara M. Muscle shear modulus measured with ultrasound shear-wave elastography across a wide range of contraction intensity. Muscle & Nerve 50:103-113, 2014.
- Salman M, Sabra KG, Shinohara M. Assessment of muscle stiffness using a continuously scanning laser-Doppler vibrometer. Muscle & Nerve 50:133-135, 2014.
- Huo X, Johnson AN, Ghovanloo M, Shinohara M. Motor performance of tongue with a computer integrated system under different levels of background physical exertion. Ergonomics 56:1733-1744, 2013.
- Yoshitake Y, Shinohara M. Oscillations in motor unit discharge are reflected in the low-frequency component of rectified surface EMG and the rate of change in force. Experimental Brain Research 231:267-276, 2013.
- Maher RM, Hayes DM, Shinohara M. Quantification of dry-needling and posture effects on myofascial trigger points using ultrasound shear-wave elastography. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 94:2146-2150, 2013.
- Kurita Y, Shinohara M, Ueda J. Wearable sensorimotor enhancer for fingertip using stochastic resonance effect. IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems 43:333-337, 2013.
- Yoshitake Y, Shinohara M. Low-frequency component of rectified EMG is temporally correlated with force and instantaneous rate of force fluctuations during steady contractions. Muscle & Nerve 47:577-584, 2013.
- Buharin VE, Butler AJ, Rajendra JK, Shinohara M. Enhanced corticospinal excitability with physiologically heightened sympathetic nerve activity. Journal of Applied Physiology 114:429-435, 2013.
- Johnson AN, Shinohara M. Corticomuscular coherence with and without additional task in the elderly. Journal of Applied Physiology 112:970-981, 2012.
- Johnson AN, Huo X, Ghovanloo M, Shinohara M. Dual-task motor performance with a tongue-operated assistive technology compared with hand operations. Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation 9:1, 2012.
- Archer A, Atangcho P, Sabra KG, Shinohara M. Propagation direction of natural mechanical oscillations in the biceps brachii muscle during voluntary contraction. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology 22: 51-59, 2012