- Signifying the Local: Media Productions Rendered in Local Languages in Mainland China in the New Millennium, Brill, 2013.
- book review by the China Journal (University of Chicago Press)
- book review by the journal Modern Chinese Literature and Culture (MCLC)
- Chinese Under Globalization: Emerging Trends in Language Use in China. co-edited with Hongyin Tao, Singapore; London: World Scientific, 2012.
PEER-REVIEWED JOURNAL ARTICLES
- “Subversive Writing: Li Xiaoguai’s Newly Coined Chinese Characters and His Comic Blogging,” Frontiers of Literary Studies in China, forthcoming, 2018.
- “A Historical Review of the Discourse of Fangyan in Modern China,” Twentieth-Century China, vol. 41, no. 3, 2016, 217-233.
- “Alternative Voice and Local Youth Identity in Chinese Local-Language Rap Music,” positions: Asia Critique (Duke University Press), vol. 22, no. 1, 2014, 263-292.
- “Deviant Writing and Youth Identity: Representation of Dialects with Chinese Characters on the Internet,” Chinese Language and Discourse, vol. 2, no. 1, 2011, 58-79.
- “Ambivalent Laughter: Comic Sketches in CCTV Spring Festival Eve Gala,” Journal of Modern Literature in Chinese (JMLC), vol. 10, no. 1, 2010, 103-121.
- “The Rhetoric of Local Languages as the Marginal: Chinese Underground and Independent Films by Jia Zhangke and Others,” Modern Chinese Literature and Culture (MCLC), vol. 18, no.2, 2006, 163-205.
- “Xiangning fangyan de wenbai yidu (The co-existence of colloquial and literary pronunciations in the Shanxi Xiangning dialect),” Yuwen Yanjiu (Research in Chinese Language), no. 78. 1, 2001, 35-45.
- “Chinese Language in the Global Context” (with Hongyin Tao), The Routledge Encyclopedia of the Chinese Language, edited by Chan Sin-Wai. Routledge, 2016, Chapter 8, 119-136.
- “The Use of Chinese Dialects on the Internet: Youth Language and Local Youth Identity in Urban China,” in Vallah, Gurkensalat 4U & me! Current Perspectives in the Study of Youth Language, edited by J. Normann JÃ¸rgensen, Frankfurt: Peter Lang, 2010, 99-112. A revised and extended version appears in Liu and Tao [ed.], Chinese under Globalization, 2012, 59–78.
- “Negotiating Linguistic Identities under Globalization: Language Use in Contemporary China” (with Hongyin Tao), Chinese under Globalization, edited by Liu and Tao, 2012, 203–212. Originally published in Harvard Asia Pacific Review, Vol. 10, Number 1, Spring 2009, 7-10.