Uncategorized
We’re All Human, Right?

We’re All Human, Right?

February 23, 2015

Anyone who knows me knows that I’m a huge Beyoncé fan. That’s right…I’m a proud member of the Bey Hive. However, my feelings toward some recently leaked photos of the Queen were quite different than that of some other members of the Bey Hive. A fan site called Beyoncé World posted the un-retouched photos below from a 2013 L’Oreal makeup ad, and some fans weren’t too happy about it since the pictures show that Beyoncé’s skin isn’t so ***flawless (see what I did there?). Beyoncé World eventually took the photos down due to the backlash, but not before other sites got a hold of them of course. Honestly, I think my fellow Bey Hive members should be acknowledging that Beyoncé is beautiful, regardless of her flaws. Yes, she sings about being flawless and being a confident woman, but it’s all a state of mind. She knows that she’s not perfect. This is what Beyoncé World was trying to recognize in the first place. She’s human just like the rest of us!

beyonce-unretouched-021915 - Copy
Similar photos of Cindy Crawford from a 2013 Marie Claire Mexico and Latin America shoot have also been leaked recently. Her pictures, along with Beyoncé’s, have really gotten the public thinking about how the media and Photoshopped pictures influence body image. I mean, c’mon! Cindy Crawford is 48 years old. I hope to look as fabulous as her at that age. She looks amazing! We all should be celebrating her (and all people, really) and not airbrushing them to the point where they look like a completely different person. What are your thoughts about these photos? How do you think Photoshopping in ads, especially of celebrities, affects the way that people views themselves and others?

cindy1 - Copy
-Leandra Lacy