Reimbursements for Purchases Made Using Personal Funds
Please read BEFORE using your personal funds to buy supplies.
Use of personal funds, up to $500 per day or event, is allowed only when logistical or extenuating circumstances occur that preclude use of the BuzzMart procurement process or PCard. All reimbursements should be submitted within 45 days of incurring the expense and must be allowable by the funding source being charged. Allowable exceptions to this policy are noted below. Any other exception must be approved by the Director of Purchasing in advance. Any requests for reimbursements that do not meet the criteria specified in this policy may not be reimbursed.
Reimbursement for Purchase of Supplies, Equipment
Use of personal funds for the purchase of goods incurs additional cost due to sales tax and non-contract pricing, in addition to the loss of procurement data metrics necessary for strategic sourcing activities. Reimbursements for goods and supplies should only be made for small dollar items less than $500 where it is not practical or possible to make the purchase using standard institute procurement processes. Purchases over $500 that have not been approved by the Director of Purchasing may be classified as personal purchases and may not be reimbursed.
Reimbursement for Payments Related to Personal Services, Rentals, and Royalties
Payments for personal services (consultants, temps, awards and prizes, rentals, royalties, and honoraria) must be processed through the Institute via the Procurement and Business Services’ procurement process, regardless of dollar amount, to ensure compliance with IRS and other federal regulations.
- Travel expenses for individuals
- Conference and meeting registration fees
- Cell phone/internet expenses (mobile and home use)
- Agency fund (as defined in the chart of accounts) purchases
- Study abroad expenses incurred during overseas activity
- Small dollar research participant payments (< $75/person) where check payment is not practical or possible
- Allowable restaurant meal purchase associated with an official GT conference/event/meeting
- STRAP tuition reimbursements
- CRC/ORGT reimbursements for trip leaders (Alaska, National Parks, etc)
- Allowable food/beverage supplies purchased at retail store
- Business center supplies/printing/shipping incurred while on travel status
- Supplies required for student projects/competitions and official GT student events